Zero-Degree Machine [z-dm]
Founded in 2015, zero-degree machine [z-dm] is a Dublin-based architectural design studio that operates collaboratively within and across the traditional boundaries of architecture, urbanism, installation, landscape and technology.
In 2019, the RIAI Home + Design Magazine selected and published z-dm's The Incomplete House as one of twelve exemplary domestic designs.
Donal Lally is an RIAI registered architect and co-founder of zero-degree machine [z-dm]. He has previously worked for multiple international award-winning practices, most recently as part of the McCullough Mulvin Architects design team for the Thapar University Project, which, in 2018, was nominated in for World Building of the Year, and winner of the RIAI International Award.
Lally's architectural design work has been exhibited in Germany, Istanbul, Singapore, and Dublin. He is currently a PhD researcher in TU Dublin; his project — The Posthuman City — explores how data infrastructures reconfigure human and non-human habitats. He has recently published articles in Strelka Magazine and Archplus, and has recently given talks at the Floating University (Berlin), Berlin University of the Arts, and at the UCD School of Architecture. He is currently a Lecturer in Design Theory the School of creative arts at TU Dublin, where he teaches across the undergraduate and masters courses.
Annex is an international research and design collective founded in 2019. Annex is comprised of a core team of architects, artists, and urbanists who collaborate with a range of research associates to develop projects on different scales. Current members include Sven Anderson, Alan Butler, David Capener, Donal Lally, Clare Lyster, and Fiona McDermott.
Annex has been selected to curate Ireland’s pavilion for the 17th International Architecture Biennale at Venice in 2020. The pavilion - Entanglement - will catalyse a public conversation about the societal, environmental and cultural changes brought about by network and communications technologies in the production of space.
For all Annex enquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- [2019 — ] – Founding of Annex; Curatorial team for the Irish pavilion at Venice Biennale Architettura 2020
- [2015 — ] – Lecturer in Design, Dublin School of Creative Arts, TU Dublin
- [2017 — ] – Member of the Royal Institute of Architects Ireland
- [2017 — 2019] – Programme Coordinator of the Architectural Association of Ireland
- [2015 — 2017] – Collaborator at McCullough Mulvin Architects
- [2015 — ] – Opening of the architecture practice zero-degree machine, Dublin, Ireland
- [2013 — 2014] – Collaborator at Allies and Morrison Architects
- [2009 — 2010 ] – Collaborator at De Paor Architects
- [2006 — 2012] – B.Arch, University College Dublin
- * Exhibition — Entanglement, Irish Pavilion for the Venice Architecture Biennale, 29 August - 29 November, 2020.
- * Article — Journal.ie
- * Talk — "Lights Out " Design Society, Science Gallery, Dublin. April 24, 2020. [TBC]
- * Academic – Visiting critic, M.Arch Mid term reviews, Dublin School of Architecture, TU Dublin, March 22, 2020. [Cancelled]
Recent Talks, Videos, Articles, and Interviews
- Talk — "Immersion: Data Centers, AI, and Dirty Matter", Open Heart City, M.Arch Programme, UCD School of Architecture, February 24, 2020.
- Talk — "Immersion: Data Centers, AI, and Dirty Matter", Earth as Client, All Ireland Architecture Research Group Conference, Limerick, January 22, 2020
- Talk, "Sacred Fire of a Data Centre", Utopia Computer: The “New” in Architecture?, Berlin University of the Arts, 15-16 November, 2019.
- Article — "Enter The Hyperscale", Arch+ 234, Special issue on Posthuman Arkitecktur
- Review — 'Architecture in the Expanded Field', Architecture Ireland, 2019.
- Talk — "Dirty Matter", BIM Workshop, Real Smart Cities, March 12, 2019.
- Talk— "Enter the Hyperscale", Datatopia Werkstatt, Project Bauhaus, Floating University Berlin, 30 August-2 September, 2019.
- Annex (Multidisciplinary Collective)
- Jarlath Cantwell (Architect and Co-Founder of z-dm)
- Conor McGowan (Architect and Co-Founder of z-dm)
- Darren Snow (Architect and Co-Founder of z-dm)
- Cleo Fagan (Curator)
- Johnny savage (Photographer)
- Sara Murphy (Spaceforms)
- Frank Prendergast (Spaceforms)
- Fiona McDermott (Urban Research)
- David Capener (Architect / Theorist)
- Alan Butler (Artist)
- Clare Lyster (Architect)
- Simon Sweeney (Visual Communication for the Irish Pavilion 2020)
- Heather Griffin (Visual Communication for the Irish Pavilion 2020)
- Clare Bell (Visual Communication for the Irish Pavilion 2020)
- Atsushi Kaga (Artist )
- Niall Maxwell (Horticulturalist)